19 March 2020

Instant Dungeon

So, these days I (and all my co-workers) work from home. The virus is threatening public life where I am, although it has yet to spread wide enough to cause panic. No one wears masks in public (yet). Because we're a society that has forgotten that threats beyond vague promises of terrorism can and do exist. And our state agencies are failing where they can. So better stay home with the family.

As I save time of my regular bycicle commute every day, I've had not just more time to spend with the family but also to do creative stuff. My older son and I have been playing a lot of Heroica and I was thinking about how to make a modular dungeony board game (once again). I have a writing block that I use to doodle during calls for work - and I decided to use said doodling for a useful cause. A new game is in the making. What's special about this one is that I am doing a lot of artwork.

16 Pages thus far, each one representing a business meeting over remote work. They can be rearranged in whatever order, most combinations allow for every part of the labyrinth to be traversed in some way.

Even if it doesn't become an actual playable game it will probably look decent enough when spread out together as a labyrinth on a table. But the idea is that everyone gets a character to play and that chests mean loot, monsters mean fighting, big monsters mean big fights. Keys open doors, obviously. Loot will come in the form of equipment cards that each have different benefits, from giving you extra HP to better fighting to lockpicking and all that. Have yet to think of actual rules but it will be a fun, kid-friendly labyrinth/dungeoncrawl once done.

The cool thing is that it inspired my older son to make his own version of the game. It's even bigger than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment