13 March 2020

Megaman

Lately I've been, for the first time in ever, dabbling in something one might consider to be fan fiction. I've always despised using other people's characters but my son made a wish for Easter: Dad, make me a megaman Tonie. Tonies are, for those without a young child in their life, figurines with an rfid-chip that can access cloud-based audio when placed on the appropriate speaker box. The makers offer some figures with ready-made audio plays (my son is listening the The Little Prince right now as I am typing this). And ones you can freely upload stuff for.

My son never played a Megaman game. My son never saw the 90s cartoon with its terrible soundtrack. His peers have no idea who or what Megaman is. He only knows what he heard then I explained to him that I was going to a concert by the Protomen this fall. And what he saw in fan-made music videos to their work. That was enough for him to wish for a Megaman action figure for christmas, which he likes to play with in conjunction with landscapes made out of Lego Duplo.

And now he wanted a Tonie. There is no Megaman Tonie. There isn't even an audio play I could use. And the cartoon show is terrible. I needed to improvise and create stuff myself, just like when he asked me to make a PJ Masks Tonie. At least he accepted that I'd drill into his Megaman action figure to install the chip from a butchered Tonie.

So the main reason why I haven't been blogging during the past weeks hasn't been the virus or a lack of creativity. It's rather that for three weeks, every minute of my free time was consumed by creating an audio play about Megaman. 32 Minutes of it, with music in the background, robot voices and lots of Pew-Pew-soundeffekts and explosions. One hell of a lot of work that the public will never know because I have no rights to any of the stuff in the play except my text.

It's magnificient. It's epic. It's just for one little boy who, I know that, will religiously listen to it five times back to back this Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment