16 October 2018

Crafting: Captain Pischer's Gold

The first little project I'd like to talk about is a small board game I made for my son. The title Captain Pischer's Gold is an insider between the two of us from the early days of his current pirate phase. Captain Pischer, you must know, is a crazy and very dangerous pirate who likes to piss himself because that's just how little of a fuck he gives.

I wanted to make a board game for my son, when I had this little box of chocolate we got for Easter. It was a nice and compact size and I decided to fit a game into it. The game itself is a simple ladder-game: You roll dice and hope to get on fields that go forwards rather  than falling back. The goal is reaching the treasure first. It's completely random but when you play with a 3-year-old, that's the only way to ensure a fair game.

You start on the boat and make your way over the beach, through the jungle, into the cave.
The crafting is, in this case, a work of love: Every third of the foldable game board is made out of several layers of thin cardboard and the connections are made from medicinal silk weave so that they don't break when folded over and over again. The gold chest opens up and there are actual round gold pieces glued into place that I made of the gold inlay that the chocolate was resting on.

This is probably the smallest project of my current crafting streak but it was also the first an I enjoyed making it. If your kids likes something and you enjoy board games: Make a themed game for them. It's not that hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment