19 October 2018

Crafting: Höhlenabenteuer/Cave Adventure

The basic idea behind this was making a kid-friendly version of We're Going On A Fucking Adventure. Not only did I want to cut out most of the violence, I also wanted to make the game much more simple so that I could play it with my son (who is four years old right now). We both do still like to explore caves and dungeons, so this game keeps the theme.

The game itself is basically a riddle and can be played by one player alone. Sometimes it's difficult to solve the cave, sometimes it's rather easy. And in very, very rare cases, it's actually impossible. Still, it's fun and children won't see the obvious solutions, instead just going for it and generating interesting situations that the four kid-protagonists have to get out of.

The four kids are basic kid-story-archetypes, each having one special ability and one weakness. It's often all about avoiding the monsters and perhaps setting up a multi-player-trap to catch them. The game is completely cooperative and I am quite pleased with it. I entered it into a game developers competition and am as of right now waiting for results. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment