18 October 2018

Crafting: A cardboard pinball machine

When we were on family vacation to Greece this year, the hotel had a little pinball machine that you could play to win rubber balls (and you couldn't lose. You'd eventually get your ball). I played it for my son as he wanted the ball and I wanted the play. It made me think of building my own pinball machine again. A quick search on the net told me that actual components are incredibly expensive. Then I found the large number of cardboard crafting videos on YouTube that had actually covered this topic.

I decided to make one myself. It took a while, in the end I even had to wait for a suitably large thing to be delivered to our house in order to finish the last big components. It took five or six sticks of hot glue but I think the result is quite nice:

The thing is big: 50 by 25 centimeters. And it works quite well: You can actually get the marble to run up the ramp and then come back down via the bridge. I'm quite fond of it and play it every once in a while. Make no mistake though: It took me roughly 40 hours of work to make this thing over the course of several weeks. If you don't enjoy the crafting process, there are alternatives out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment